The project in brief
Migration Service of the Ministry of Territorial Administration and Infrastructure, Armenia
2018 September - Ongoing
The project consisted of two components: capacity-building and decision-making procedure improvement of asylum procedures.
The goal of the project is to improve the quality of asylum decisions via capacity-building activities of the staff members of the Asylum and Legal Affairs Division of the Migration Service of Armenia.
For the facilitation of the implementation of the project the leading specialists in the field of Country of Origin Information (COI) were invited to hold trainings from the Yerevan State University and other Academic institutions concerned.
For the efficiency of the revision of the cases the time-period for internal procedures were modified.
The decision templates of asylum procedures were revised with the support of UNHCR Armenia and newly designed decision templates were put into place and are now being used.
Challenges and how they were overcome
- The challenges were mainly connected with the lack of professionals to deliver the trainings concerned.
- It would be highly advised if COI professionals coming from respective countries were holding the lectures.
- The main challenge in regard with the above mentioned was mainly due to lack of financial resources.
How were challenges overcome
- With the financial support of UNHCR Armenia, local experts from leading Armenian Universities were invited to deliver speeches in regard with COI, covering countries such as Turkey, Afghanistan, Iran, and Iraq, among others.
Results of the Good Practice
- Status determination processes have become faster and more consistent.
- More justified decisions were delivered.
We are looking forward to continue this practice to foster capacity-building activities for our staff members with the support of our partners.