The project in brief
Música para la Integración Foundation
2016 - Present
Foundation “Music for Integration” supports Venezuelan musicians in Chile.
When leaving their country, many Venezuelan musicians have had to leave their artistic careers. Once in Chile, most of them have no other option than working in areas that have nothing to do with music, leaving aside their main passion, in order to survive and achieve economic stability. For them, to meet again with other musicians, playing in an orchestra or teaching music to boys and girls is, above all, a way to remember the warmth of their home.
VIDEO: Concierto Diáspora Sinfónica en Centro Cultural La Moneda 15/09/19
Main activities of the Good Practice
The Foundation's proposal is to rescue the professional musical talent of refugees and migrants in Chile through:
- A symphonic orchestra composed by 60 refugees and migrants that plays free concerts in public spaces, in order to give them visibility and share their talents.
- Classes for children of different ages, taught by Venezuelan musicians who participate in the symphony orchestra. The Foundation has four training centers in different parts of the capital, with a current total of 120 children taking part.
- Exchanges of experiences with other Chilean orchestras, including the national police symphony orchestra
- Massive shows of the professional Symphonic orchestra, for promoting the message against discrimination and xenophobia.
Challenges and how they were overcome
Financial instability was the main challenge as we do not have regular incomes or sponsors.
- The Foundation has been knocking on the doors of UNHCR, UNESCO and other organizations, to request economical support.
- The foundation has partnerships with various parishes and churches to be able to carry out music classes and rehearsals in those spaces.
Results of the Good Practice
- After going through difficult times, dozens of refugee and migrant musicians have felt the joy of making music again. The Foundation has given them the opportunity to develop integrally on a personal basis, which generates a positive impact on their processes of local integration and a feeling of overcoming.
- The foundation promotes labor support networks so that every refugee or migrant professional musician can return to work in their area. It has helped to boost the careers of Venezuelan musicians in Chile.
- The Foundation has created bonds of friendship between refugees and migrants, generating a community and a support network.
- Refugee and migrant children have participated in the Foundation's musical classes, to develop their talents, make friends and feel a part of a community in the new host country.
VIDEO: Danzón nº 2. Orq Simfònica Internac. Voces y música para la Integración. SF'15.avc
How the project meets the GCR Objectives
Objective 2: Enhance refugee self-reliance
The “Music for Integration” project contributes to enhancing refugee self-reliance. From the labour perspective but also from the independence and balance that generates emotional well-being. It is a project that is aimed directly at local integration.
The project was born from an idea of a group of Venezuelan musicians in Chile and has been enhanced through partnerships with UNESCO, UNHCR and various private and state cultural centres.
By forming a professional orchestra and developing musical classes for children, the foundation strengthens the Venezuelan community in Chile, through the creation of a support network for refugees and migrants’ musicians who arrive in the country. It also promotes labour opportunities for refugee or migrant professional musicians. Finally, the work carried out by the foundation also contributes to fostering a welcoming environment, because it enhances and makes visible the talents and contributions that refugees and migrants can offer Chile.
This is an innovative project in which people of all nationalities, gender and ages, have a place and can develop their talents, in an intercultural environment. Also, it is a project very likely to be replicated in different parts of the world, as there are many Venezuelan professional musicians outside their country of origin.
- Generating job opportunities and getting sponsors for musicians.
- Get an official sponsor to continue growing and get financial stability.
VIDEO: Orquesta "Voces y Música para la Integración"