Multistakeholder Pledge: Inclusion of Forcibly Displaced and Stateless Persons in National Statistical Systems and Surveys
As part of the Innovation Lab: “Making Forcibly Displaced and Stateless Persons Visible: Inclusion in National Statistical Systems and Surveys”, UNHCR, JDC and EGRISS Secretariat are encouraging pledges on statistical inclusion to accurately capture forcibly displaced, stateless people and host communities in censuses, administrative data sources, or nationwide household surveys. Such effort will help improve the quality and quantity of socio-economic data and evidence needed to inform the design of programs and policies to improve the protection and wellbeing of these vulnerable populations. Statistical inclusion is a mechanism to help implement and assess the progress towards the GCR and is key to keeping the central promise of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to leave no-one behind.
Pledges towards statistical inclusion are any actions or initiatives developed in response to the GCR and the High- Level Panel on Internal Displacement calls for the systematic inclusion of refugees and IDPs in the routine data collection efforts of national governments, but also to fill the data gap on statelessness as parts of the 2014-2024 Global Action Plan to End Statelessness. Such pledges can be made by: Member States through their national statistics offices, agencies in charge of refugee affairs; Regional and international organizations, Donors, Humanitarian, and development actors.
- Commitments to include statelessness in national population and housing censuses (e.g. Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Mali, Liberia, Chad, Bulgaria, Belarus and Republic of Tajikistan)
- Commitments to enhance birth or civil registration and vital statistics for refugees and/or stateless persons (e.g. Rwanda, South Africa, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco, Eswatini)
- Commitments to improve the understanding of forced displacement/statelessness with quantitative studies (e.g. Philippines, Armenia)
- Broad commitments to include refugees in national statistical systems (e.g. Uganda)
- Economic inclusion and Social Protection Pledge (RSRI)
- World Bank-UNHCR Joint Data Center on Forced Displacement
- EGRISS Secretariat
Supported by UNHCR.
- May – July 2023: Mapping of and Consultations with countries and stakeholders.
- August 2023: Consultative meeting on mega pledge with all countries and stakeholders.
- September- November 2023: Development of specific pledges.
- December 2023: Launch at the GRF.