Education for/with refugees in Paraná
The project in brief
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Cátedra Sérgio Vieira de Mello
2013 – present
UFPR offers Portuguese and computer classes, psychological assistance, law clinics, intercultural events, health orientation, special access to the courses of the faculty, and a special process of diploma recognition to the community of refugees.
The project aims to enhance refugee self-reliance as they are able to speak the local language (Portuguese), know local cultures and values, use computers, have psychological and medical orientation, and access a legal clinic. They have access to university courses and recognition of their foreign certificates (bachelors’ degree diploma).
VIDEO: Projeto transforma UFPR em ponto de acolhimento para migrantes e refugiados
Main activities of the Good Practice
The project enables refugees in Parana State to speak and write in Portuguese (we have 14 rooms each semester and use a special methodology PLA – Português como Língua de Acolhimento + Porta Giratória) and to achieve computer skills (2 classes every semester: level basic and advanced).
Moreover, it aims to ensure mental health and enables the refugees to access their rights and papers.
Another element is the expression of their culture and getting to know others cultures, for instance when the refugees present dance, music, food and performances from their own countries and they go to local museums, movie theatres.
Lastly, they gain access to faculties graduation courses and have their high education foreign diploma revalidated.
- Cátedra Sergio Vieira de Mello – ACNUR - Brazil
- Ministério Público do Trabalho do Paraná
- Secretaria do Estado da Justiça, Família e Trabalho
- Centro de Informação ao Migrante, Refugiado e Apátrida
- Conselho Estadual dos Direitos dos Migrantes, Refugiados e Apátridas do Paraná
- Local NGOs
Challenges and how they were overcome
Main challenges consisted in financial difficulties, the resistance of university staff, and xenophobia.
These challenges were overcome thanks to agreements with sponsors and awareness-raising actions for the internal and external community.
Results of the Good Practice
- 2500 refugees (from community) received Portuguese classes and computer classes since 2013.
- 100 refugee cases per month at legal clinic and psychological assistance.
- 100 refugees are UFPR graduation students
- Six refugees are Master courses students.
- 32 refugees revalidated their diplomas since 2015.
VIDEO: Jornalismo - Estudantes refugiados são acolhidos pela UFRP
Tatyana Scheila Friedrich, Professor of Law and Coordinator, Universidade Federal do Paraná