Support Platforms - 2020 Updates
The Global Refugee Forum marked the launch of three Support Platforms to reinforce regional refugee responses, including the MIRPS Support Platform in Central America and Mexico, the Nairobi Process facilitated by IGAD in the East and Horn of Africa, and the SSAR Support Platform for Afghan Refugees. Each of the high-level launch events was accompanied by significant commitments of support from a broad and diverse alliance of States, partners and other stakeholders.
The Support Platforms create the necessary momentum to redefine the way in which the international community as a whole responds to the most protracted and complex refugee situations. In a spirit of partnership and in line with host country ownership and leadership, their functions include: (i) galvanizing political commitment and advocacy for prevention, protection, response and solutions; (ii) mobilizing financial, material and technical assistance, as well as enhancing resettlement and complementary pathways; and (iii) facilitating coherent humanitarian and development responses
The infographics and timelines below highlight progress made by each of the Support Platforms in the first year since the Global Refugee Forum.
SSAR Support Platform for Afghan Refugees
- The International Conference on 40 Years of Afghan Refugees states that the SSAR Support Platform provides an “important opportunity to redefine the way the international community responds to the Afghan refugee situation.”
- High-Level Meeting on the SSAR Support Platform launches A Partnership for Solidarity and Resilience, with a portfolio of scalable priority projects jointly developed by UNHCR and the Governments of the Islamic Republics of Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan.
- Inaugural meeting of the SSAR Support Platform Core Group.
- High-level consultation in the lead-up to the 2020 Afghanistan conference "Return and Reintegration: Building a Future for all Afghans".
- Afghanistan Conference 2020: The Government of Afghanistan, European Union and UN organize a dedicated side event on “Reintegrating Refugees and Returnees”, with the participation of the High Commissioner.
MIRPS Support Platform
- Ambassadorial informal lunch in Geneva to discuss the operationalization of the MIRPS Support Platform.
- Spain assumes the first Presidency of the MIRPS Support Platform.
- Mid-Year Review of national action plans and quantification.
- Organization of American States (OAS) begins consultation with the business community.
- Platform presidency participates in the 14th MIRPS technical meeting.
- Members explore opportunities for bilateral cooperation to strengthen asylum systems in MIRPS countries and identify potential to match existing GRF pledges to current needs in MIRPS countries.
- During the 75th Ministerial Week of UNGA, Spain organizes the high-level event: “Compact on Refugees and forced displacement in Central America: Regional cooperation and the MIRPS as a solution".
- Over 100 national governmental officers from MIRPS countries participate in an online course on Asylum Systems and Refugee Integration, organized by the Government of Spain.
- Third MIRPS Annual Meeting: Dialogue between the MIRPS countries and Platform Members on priority areas for 2021.
IGAD Support Platform
- Ambassadorial lunch of IGAD states, IGAD Secretariat, EU and UNHCR, hosted by Sudan in Geneva.
- The “Parliamentary Responses to Solutions for Forced Displacement in the IGAD Region” roundtable, co-organised by UNHCR, the Inter-Parliamentary Union and the Centre for European Policy Studies brings together a group of Members of Parliaments from IGAD countries and the European Parliament.
- Launch of the IGAD-led regional initiative to seek solutions to protracted displacement in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Technical meeting of the IGAD Support Platform core group with the governments of Sudan and South Sudan takes place in Khartoum to launch a road-map toward a joint comprehensive plan of action for Durable Solutions for Refugees, IDPs and Host Communities to be endorsed at a Heads of State summit in 2021.