Regional solidarity with displaced populations and host communities: the three Support Platforms
In this section:
On July 6 2021, Spain, in its capacity as Chair of the MIRPS Support Platform, and UNHCR organised an event that was held during the 81st Standing Committee meeting of UNHCR’s Executive Committee. This event aimed to bring together the different Support Platforms, look for commonalities, and address challenges.
The Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, Ms Gillian Triggs, opened the exchange before introducing speakers for all three Support Platforms launched for the Global Refugee Forum in 2019.
Three Support Platforms were launched at the Global Refugee Forum in 2019
with the aim of enabling context-specific support for refugees and concerned host countries and communities:
- the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Support Platform in East and Horn of Africa,
- the Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR) Support Platform; and
- the Regional Comprehensive Framework for Protection and Solutions Support Platform (known by its Spanish acronym MIRPS) for the forced displacement situation affecting Central America and Mexico.
Spain, in coordination with UNHCR, is organizing a side event during the 81st Standing Committee of UNHCR’s Executive Committee meeting to look at the areas the platforms have in common and at ways that common challenges can be addressed. The event will focus on the exchange of experiences and lessons learned, the identification of challenges and gaps to enable further cross-fertilization; and the reinforcement of progress towards achieving the objectives of the Global Compact on Refugees.
The event will be Hybrid in nature. Participants are invited to attend in person in room D of the CICG or online through the Interprefy platform. UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, Ms Gillian Triggs, together with Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and for Ibero-America and the Caribbean, Ms Cristina Gallach, will moderate the event and experiences and comments will be shared by members of the Support Platforms, as well as countries impacted by displacement.
- Ms Caroline Xavier, Associate Deputy Minister, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (Canada)
- Ambassador Eduardo Hernández, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs (Guatemala)
- Ms. Paola Pampaloni, Deputy Managing Director for Asia and the Pacific, European External Action Service (European Union)
- Ambassador Nasir Andisha, Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Mr Workneh Gebeyehu, Executive Secretary, Intergovernmental Authority on Development
- Ambassador Osman Abufatima Adam Mohammed, Deputy Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of Sudan